Monday, June 25, 2012

Female jazz vocal compilations #MusicMonday

It all started with a TV commercial for the 2-CD set Lady Sings The Blues of songs performed by female pop and jazz vocalists.  Perhaps Capital Records was trying to, er, capitalize on the success of Norah Jones (Norah is signed with Capital subsidiary Blue Note and her cover of Roxy Music's More Than This is featured on the CD set).  Curious, I purchased the 2-CD set, and I was hooked.  I began buying similar CD compilations from places as diverse as The Sharper Image (before it closed its brick-and-mortar stores), Bed Bath & Beyond, Whole Foods Market, and my local Hallmark store.  Here's a list of some CD compilations of songs recorded by female pop and jazz artists:

In upcoming weeks, I'll feature videos of Nina Simone and Dinah Washington.

No comments: