Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Blast from the past: 60s #cosmetics ads

When I was a kid, I hung out with my next door neighbor, who was two years older than me.  I liked her company more than that of her sister, who was only a couple of months older than me.  Gayle and I might have been young, but we were precocious in our fondness for clothes and cosmetics.

Here are a couple of items we coveted, but our mothers wouldn't let us buy:


Source: flickr.com via STYLE on Pinterest


Lipshine from Helena Rubinstein's Lightworks collection featured a "Splitstick" that was gloss on one side, color on the other, packed in a graphic black and white tube.

I love those swingy, pleated tent dresses!


Body Paint by Coty Originals has to be one of the most unusual cosmetics I've seen.  It came in a paint bucket complete with paint roller and pan.  Shades were blue, green, and mauve.  There were also four flesh tones.

This ad was scanned from the July 1967 issue of Seventeen.  The dress is by Betsey Johnson.  Can you believe that she's been around this long?

No comments: