Sunday, March 07, 2004

How to Clean the Bathroom

Categories: ,

I took a bath using the ME! Bath Ice Cream bomb in Vanilla Purity, which turned my bathtub into an oil slick. It was time to clean the bath tub and the whole bathroom, in which case I decided to offer some tips on cleaning bathrooms.

I like using Marla ("FlyLady") Cilley's (search "FlyLady" on The Style Page) approach to cleaning tubs and sinks: fill the tub or sink with hot water, add chlorine bleach, and let sit for one hour. Afterwards, scrub the tub or sink with scouring powder (I like Bon Ami). If you wish, you can wipe down the tub or sink with a window cleaner like Windex. Be careful if you decide to subscribe to her e-group! I did, setting the option to "individual mails" and my Email box was flooded!
icon
icon
Swiffer starter kit

One hour gives you a lot of time to do other things - set the kitchen timer for one hour and find out. Clean the toilet - 3M has come out with the Scotch-Brite Disposable Toilet Bowl Scrubbericon with built-in cleaner. Freshen your bath mat by running it in the dryer - I prefer terry cloth bath mats to bath rugs because they're easier to wash and dry. Clean the floor - I use the Swiffer dry mopicon to lift up hair. Empty the trash can and install a new roll of toilet tissue if necessary. I use Lysol disinfectant wipes to clean the interior of the trash can. Housecleaning experts like Don Aslett recommend that you clean top down, but with Marla Cilly's shiny sink, you can't use this approach. At the end, I clean the bathroom mirrors and any chrome fixtures with window cleaner.