Human trafficking is the second largest organized crime in the world, generating more than $12 billion a year. It has become a bigger business than drug trafficking, with 2-4 million young women and children sold into sold into sexual slavery for as little as $10. Human Trafficking victims are subject to rape, torture, forced abortion, starvation, and threats to family members.
The New York Chapter of The Somaly Mam Foundation, a 501c3 nonprofit public charity whose vision is to put an end to sexual slavery, will host an on-line auction to raise money to rescue and rehabilitate victims of human trafficking. The foundation is named for Somaly Mam, a survivor of human trafficking who was sold into sexual slavery at a young age but finally escaped. She now fights on behalf of other young victims of human trafficking.
The New York Chapter is partnering with eBay Giving Works, to raise money by selling high-ticket BEAUTY & FASHION items.
On MARCH 8th, 2009, which is INTERNATIONAL WOMEN'S DAY, the eBay auction will go live, featuring beauty and fashion items at 50-75% off retail. All proceeds will go the Somaly Mam Foundation.
* Cut & color with celebrity stylist David Evangelista
* Tickets to the Diane von Furstenberg Spring 2010 Runway show in September 2009
* Over $1000 in Givenchy Le Makeup, Skincare, and Fragrance
* The new Dior L'Or de Vie Skincare Collection
* Autographed Anya Hindmarch handbag
* 3-month Equinox Fitness membership
* VIP tickets to see a live taping of Rachael Ray
* much more beauty from brands including Fresh, Guerlain. Dior, Sephora, and Frederic Fekkai