Thursday, August 06, 2009

An interview with makeup artist and entrepreneur Ellis Faas - Part 2

5. You launched your line earlier this year. What has been the response to Ellis Faas cosmetics in Europe?

So far, so good! More and more countries and retailers are “in the pocket”, as we call it. We’ve just entered Switzerland and after the Summer we’ll launch in Australia, the UK, Poland and more countries. Especially the press has proven to be wonderfully supportive, apparently because they like the concept and colours, and journalists tell me that it really gives them something to write about so that is good. And shops tell us that it brings them new customers, instead of cannibalizing other brands.

6. Tell me about your Ambassadors program. How do you select and qualify your Ambassadors?

We started the Ambassadors programme because of two things: I can’t be everywhere at the same time, so the ambassadors can do presentations and so on if I have to be somewhere else. Plus the more professionals spread the word about the brand, the better. But just like the company itself (I started it with one of my best friends and my youngest brother), we so far have chosen the ambassadors “within the family”, meaning I have known and worked with them for years and years, as colleagues and as assistants. I think that if someone knows me personally it helps them to communicate the brand best.

7. When do you plan to launch Ellis Eyes, Skin, Lights, Pencils, and Prime? Can you provide us a preview of these forthcoming products?

Ellis Eyes and Skin will be released late September (14 eyeshadows, 2 mascaras, 2 eyeliners, 4 blushers, 8 foundations, 8 concealers, 3 powders), Lights (meaning 5 highlights) before Christmas, and the rest some time next year.

8. While readers in the U.S. can purchase your products through your website, do you have plans to find retailers in the U.S.?

Absolutely. We are now finalizing talks with a wonderful retailer in New York, who is planning to launch us in November – although I cannot yet disclose who it is (so people can keep themselves posted via our newsletter, Facebook or Twitter). If all that works out, I hope that more shops in the US will follow. So far, the American customers who have bought online are coming back to buy more, so that’s very positive!

9. Is there anything else that you would like to share with our readers that I haven’t covered in my questions?

Well, I hope your readers will take the time to visit our site to read more about the Human Colours concept, because it is not as scary as it may seem at first glance. I merely believe that daily makeup should be used to highlight someone’s most beautiful features and to mask their less attractive ones. So what better way to achieve this than with colours that by nature are already present in a person’s face. So if you look at the colours, you will see that they are all broken, non-primary colours, and because of that they look good on anyone, from a pale, 16-year-old white girl to a 80-year-old black grandma, and anyone in between!

This article first appeared on blogcritics.org.

No comments: