Monday, July 16, 2012

Dinah Washington - What a Difference a Day Makes #MusicMonday

As I wrote, I got hooked on Female jazz vocalists, especially the classic women jazz singers.  I remember Ella Fitzgerald as an older woman appearing on network TV, and I knew that she was renown for her scat singing.  I didn't know how silky her voice could be.  Then, of course, there is Billie Holliday.

When I first heard Dinah Washington, I wondered "Who is she?" "Where has she been all my life?" which betrays my ignorance more than anything else. Here she sings what is probably her best known song 'What A Difference A Day Makes' and picks up the tempo with 'Makin' Whoopee.' Louis Jordan and his band back her in this TV segment.



And the announcer is none other than our prez Ronald Reagan!  What could be better??!!
Lol.  This will be heresy to true believers, but I don't think that the Reagan years were all that great.

No comments: