Thursday, December 16, 2004

Treating Chapped Lips

Categories:

Good advice from Paula Begoun, but I do prefer lip balm in a wax base, as long as it contains sunscreens and emollients such as petrolatum and mineral oil. I use a SPF 30 lip balm stick from Stop'n'Shop. The wax seems to create a barrier between the lips and the elements. At night, I use Aquaphor Healing Ointment ointment or a store brand equivalent. Don't forget the corners of your mouth when applying balm - cracking often begins there.

If cracking begins, apply Neosporin First Aid Antibiotic Ointment or a store brand equivalent, labeled as a "triple antiobiotic ointment." Band-Aid Liquid Bandage Skin Crack Gel may be used to seal cracks. BTW Liquid Bandage contains 2-Octyl Cyanoacrylate - cyanoacrylates are the same ingredient in Krazy Glue, but I wouldn't advise substituting Krazy Glue for Liquid Bandage!

I have tried BeautiControl's LipApeel and it works well, but my criticism is that the waxy cream used to peel off chapped skin dries out and becomes unworkable. BeautiControl is a direct sales company, like Mary Kay, and is not my preferred way to shop for cosmetics. However, you can shop online and bypass the sales pressure if you state that you do not have a consultant.

No comments: