Tuesday, April 06, 2010

Twi-hard with a vengeance

I started reading Harry Potter to understand what the phenomenon was all about. I also had the incentive that my nephew was reading the books, which would give me something to talk about with him on our overseas calls. After reading Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone, however, I decided that I had enough and didn’t follow up on reading the other six books in the series.

Similarly, I began reading Twilight to understand what the phenomenon was all about. This time, however, I got sucked in (ouch!), and while I didn’t become a vampire, I certainly became a Twi-hard. Perhaps the appeal of Twilight was romance and courtliness. I took every coupon I had through Borders Rewards to buy the next installment.

What if you’ve read the entire Twilight Saga and want more?



Twilight: The Graphic Novel, Volume 1 (The Twilight Saga)

Stephenie Meyer has collaborated with Korean illustrator Young Kim on Twilight The Graphic Novel. Twilight The Graphic Novel presents some of the highlights of Twilight in Manga style. As you can see, Bella has been portrayed as a waif, in true Manga style. I was enchanted by the interplay between pen and ink, airbrush-like shading, color (particularly when Edward shows Bella how walking in the sunlight affects him), and even photography for surreal effect.

By now, people know that Stephenie Meyer will release The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner: An Eclipse Novella, a spinoff about one of Victoria’s newborns, on June 5. If Stephenie Meyer were to write another book, I would have thought that it would have been about a new love triangle between Reneesme, Jacob, and Nahuel or the budding relationship (or so it’s hinted) between Sue Clearwater and Charlie.

No comments: