Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Cultural insensitivity?


Insenstive

I always enjoy visiting the i♥make-up blog for her posts on beauty secrets of Bollywood stars. On Monday, she posted an article on OPI's India Collection nail polishes, in keeping with her India theme. As usual, OPI has come up with punny names for its nail polishes.

I scanned the above image from the March 2008 issue of Lucky (and if someone could tell me how I can prevent the reverse side from showing through, I'd be grateful). I found this picture of the model holding the turkey sandwich insensitive and lacking in cultural awareness, as a majority of Indians are vegetarians. Some Hindus eschew onions, garlic, and mushrooms as tamasic, that is, tending to sluggishness. Some abstain from certain foods on fast days. Observant Jains do not eat vegetables that grow underground, such as carrots and potatoes.

I do agree with i♥make-up, however, that this ad was probably not intentional. What do you think?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

idk..i dont really think its supposed to be offensive in any kind of way towards anybody of the Indian culture. I feel that the company just thought it was a creative, and different, way to go about promotion for that particular collection. I could see if maybe she was holding a half eaten turkey sandwich or whatever, or if they tried portray her as a sloppy meat eater ( i hope that makes sense), but they didn't.


off topic- try scanning the image with a black sheet behind it. that may work.