Saturday, February 09, 2008

Finds from World Market

I love shopping World Market. It's what Pier 1 used to be, long before Pier 1 began aping Pottery Barn. I especially enjoy browsing the cookware, fashion accessories, and food departments: Katjes Yoghurt Gum candy from Germany is my current favorite!

I picked up the smaller of these two vases on my last visit to World Market:



It's ceramic and features the geometric designs characteristic of the Shipibo tribe of Peru. Most examples of Shipibo design feature an off-white background with the designs in black. Some are done on backgrounds of saffron or henna shades. This green is unusual, and beautiful.

On a previous visit, I bought the rectangular sushi plate, below. Instead of using it on the tabletop, I use it to contain my necklaces and bracelets. It's made in Japan, but the colors and design make me think of mehndi.



Do you get the idea that I like ethnic design motifs?

3 comments:

The Apprentice said...

I like those! Thanks for sharing.

Retainer Girl said...

I *love* World Market! These are great purchases!

i♥make-up said...

I love mehendi, and the designs on the Japanese plate and vase look like henna designs!!! <3<3<3 Great find!