Tuesday, October 04, 2011

TouchBack - Allure Best of Beauty Award Winner

TouchBack by ColorMark
TouchBack by ColorMark received a Best of Beauty award from Allure. It is a marker that deposits temporary hair color to cover white roots.

I got my first gray hairs at 16. By the time I was 30, most of my hair was gray, but I was reluctant to take the plunge and completely cover my gray. I actually had reverse highlighting, in which strands of my hair were pulled through a perforated cap and dyed brown. Finally, my hairdresser persuaded me to get all over color.

My white roots become obvious 4 weeks after I get my hair colored. I decided to try out TouchBack to see how well it works. I color my hair dark brown. As the hair for the models with dark brown hair on the web site looked darker than mine, I tried TouchBack in Medium Brown. The web site recommends that if you are between colors, choose the lighter color. Maybe Dark Brown would have been the better choice: the changeover from TouchBack in Medium Brown to my permanent hair color was not seamless.

TouchBack comes with a fine-tooth comb that can be used as a skin shield at the temples and hairline; however, to make it work, you need to have significant regrowth. Given the small amount of regrowth (between 1/4" and 1/2") I had, it was difficult to cover the white hairs at the hairline without smudging. I used a rattail comb to lift a section of my hair (on the part) and apply TouchBack just shy of the scalp to prevent smudging. It minimized the appearance of white roots, and is a temporary fix until you apply permanent color.

TouchBack is easier to use than Joan Rivers Beauty Great Hair Day™, which I reviewed in 2009. A makeup artist at Soft Surroundings in St. Louis did an excellent job of applying Joan Rivers Beauty Great Hair Day™ to mask the white roots and thin spots on my head, but it is too much effort to do at home.

You may purchase TouchBack through its website, Sally Beauty Supply, or Beauty.com.

The fine print: The PR firm representing TouchBack provided me with a sample of  TouchBack in Medium Brown.

No comments: