Wednesday, November 30, 2011

The Twilight Gown

The Twilight gown
By now, readers should be familiar with the story about Bella's wedding gown for Breaking Dawn.  Carolina Herrera designed the gown, and a licensed adaptation is available for $799.

I've read comments praising the "modesty" of the gown (although the gown has a teasingly cut sweetheart neckline and plunging back) and welcoming it as a change of pace from the current fashion for strapless gowns.

There are some aspects of this gown that I find weird. Twilight is implausible, but it strains my imagination that a 19-year-old from Forks, WA would walk down the aisle in a Carolina Herrera gown. I also question Carolina Herrera's motivation.   Money and publicity, for sure, and maybe she had a genuine affinity for the romance and courtliness of Twilight.  Still, I am surprised that the patrician Ms. Herrera would do anything that might lessen her image.

Discuss.

No comments: