Sunday, January 15, 2012

What's this with Pinterest?

Note to regular readers of The Style Page: this article is a re-post, with a few embellishments.

Readers who look closely at recent images on The Style Page might note the credits: for example, on the post P&G pulls Taylor Swift Cover Girl mascara ad, you'll see:

Source: shine.yahoo.com via STYLE on Pinterest.

What is Pinterest?  It's the latest, hottest thing in social media.  Here is how Pinterest describes itself:

Pinterest is a virtual pinboard.  Pinterest allows you to organize and share all the beautiful things you find on the web. You can browse pinboards created by other people to discover new things and get inspiration from people who share your interests.

People use pinboards to plan their weddings, decorate their homes, and share their favorite recipes.

I think that Pinterest is the nicest thing in social media - more so than Facebook and Twitter.

I use Pinterest to grab images ("pins") on the Web, organize them onto pinboards, and comment on them. It's like the mood boards that Kirsten Kjaer Weis said that she uses.  I am a major abuser when it comes to sharing pins via Facebook or Twitter.  It's also fun (and voyeuristic, but maybe that's part of the fun :-) to view others' pins and re-pin them to my boards, "like" pins, and comment on pins.  It's also great when others validate your good taste by liking and re-pinning your pins.

I received this touching message in response to my 2012 pin:

May you always have love & health to spare and friends that care...

Oftentimes, I have writers' block when it comes to my blogs, but I can quickly comment on Pinterest, and voila! while it might not be great literature, I have something to post on The Style Page.

You can send a request to join to Pinterest, but when I did, I got waitlisted.  The surest way to join Pinterest is to ask someone who's already on Pinterest to invite you.  If you want to join Pinterest and share your loves with the world, email me at thestylepage [at] yahoo [dot] com, and I will issue you an invitation.


Follow Me on Pinterest

No comments: